Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Laser Eye Surgery and other LASIK topics.
You've rejected LASIK and custom LASIK options such as VISX, LADARWave and LADARVision. Where do you go from here? Your laser eye surgeon may recommend LASEK, which saves 160 microns more corneal tissue, or PRK, especially if you have thin corneas. But you have other laser eye surgery and vision correction options:
* Intacs Corneal Implants and lens implants such as Clear Lens Exchange (reversible procedure)
* RK (not allowed if you're also a candidate for the military, and just reduces myopia)
* Automated Lamellar Keratoplasty (ALK--unpredictable)
* Astigmatic Keratotomy (AK, rarely performed and only for oval corneas)
* Conductive Keratoplasty (CK, for patients over forty, temporary reduction of farsightedness without a laser)
When weighing laser vision correction and non-laser eye surgery procedures, you need to ask your surgeon about the risks and benefits. If you're under 40 years old, you may discover that you're willing to take the laser vision correction plunge.